2.21.2009

Tonight was the opening reception for the Heart to Hear Art Show. There was quite a large turnout, but not as much art as I was anticipating. The fashion show was pretty great, and there were some amazing outfits showcased from a handful of local shops that sell handmade goods. Topstitch and Vagabond being two of them. My piece got a lot of great feedback, and everyone seemed to really love it. I felt very weird about showing it, but I'm glad I did. I'm not sure if I mentioned the requirements earlier, but here is goes. We were all given a large quantity of these red rubber hearts, and asked to do something with them. I played with a few idea's before reaching this point...but this one seemed to be the thing I needed to do. The piece is called Severance. It's carved wood, felt, tacks, part of the rubber heart, and brass. It's a wall hung piece.
It is for sale. E-mail me if interested. (melody@goldencalfdesigns.com)

So I have quite a bit of work ahead of me. I am making a hamsha pendant for Henry, a heart-peace sign pendant for Jane, and a custom Home Sweet Home necklace of some London Row Homes for Linda. I'm really excited for the row homes, because I was trying to work out a design for South Philly row homes..and the London ones that I designed look pretty great.
On top of all that, I was just asked to be one of seven people from the Metals department to participate in The Art and Design @ 50 Expo/Sale/Gala at the University of the Arts. 1 person from the 2005 class, 3 people from the 2006 class, ME from the 2007 class, and 2 people from the 2008 class. All work will be for sale, and half of the proceeds will go toward student scholarships. Pretty exciting! Even though I am needing some financial assistance myself with paying off school, I am super excited to possibly help out a potentially awesome new art student. It will be a really great opportunity to gain exposure and hopefully sell some work.
The work will be on exhibit to the public on March 18th, and there will be multiple formal openings for collectors and trustees, friends of the University, critics, faculty, staff, alumni, students, their parents and friends on the 19th.

Time to get to work!!!

No comments: