12.24.2008

Sometimes sleep just isn't necessary.

I worked a full day at Pearl today, hung out with Michelle, Justin, and both sets of kitties...and still I managed to spend a few hours working at the bench. It's nearly 5 am now...Jeez how time flies. I had a bit of work to do in order to complete my fathers Hanukkah gift. I bought a nice shirt and made silver buttons to replace the original ones. I really love the meditative process of making. These super simple buttons really let me get in a steady rhythm of motion and thought. Sometimes even the most mind numbing things can be good. So I went from making these buttons to sewing them on... (another meditative practice). I think it came out pretty well. I'm even kind of thinking about drawing up a bunch of simple buttons that I could make in the future.

It is so gross outside right now. I wish the ice was snow, and the sound of car alarms were birds.
I can't stop listening to this album by Fountains of Wayne. So many of the songs make me want to jump in a car and drive up to Vermont and hibernate in a cabin for the winter. Particularly "Valley Winter Song". So great.
Maybe I should sleep now..

2 comments:

Linda Everett said...

Mel, the buttons are beautiful - that was a fantastic idea. It really dresses up a simple shirt. I know what you mean about the "meditative process" - I have the same feeling when it comes to repetitive but satisfying work, especially hand-work. I saw your comment on my new project. I'll make you one if you like - what colors? When I'm back from London, of course.

Daniel Fishel said...

I don't understand the concept of sleep